Sue Wootton is a poet, novelist, short story writer and essayist.
She lives in Ōtepoti Dunedin, Aotearoa New Zealand.
Sue’s fiction and poetry is widely published and anthologised in New Zealand and internationally. Some of her work has been translated into Hungarian, Romanian, Spanish and Vietnamese.
Her children’s book, Cloudcatcher, was published in 2010.
She has published five collections of poetry, most recently The Yield.
Sue has received a number of accolades for her work.
- Shortlisted for the University of Canberra Vice-Chancellor’s International Poetry Prize 2019 – ‘At Moeraki’
- Katherine Mansfield Menton Fellowship 2020
- NZSA Peter & Dianne Beatson Fellowship 2018
- Longlisted for the University of Canberra Vice-Chancellor’s International Poetry Prize 2018 – ‘The Swim’
- Two poems commended in the 2018 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine – ‘Rx’ and ‘As it is on Earth’
- The Yield shortlisted for 2018 Ockham NZ Book Award for Poetry
- Strip longlisted for 2017 Ockham NZ Book Award for Fiction
- Winner 2015 Takahē Poetry Competition – ‘Calling’
- Runner-up 2015 Gwen Harwood Prize (Australia) – ‘Smeuse’
- Winner 2015 Caselberg Trust International Poetry prize – ‘Luthier’